Monday, August 8, 2011

Lamp Revisited

Today I decided to change up the lamp that I painted a while back (here). Here's a picture of what it looked like before I did anything to it.
If you look closely (or maybe not that close) you can see that the lampshade is a little stained. This happened during "the flood". This shade was resting upside down on top of a box and the water started to work it's way up.
I thought we had thrown the shade away but I recently found it in boxes that were stored at my parents' house. We had been using the shadeless lamp while we've been working on the house and I was planning on getting a new shade for it sometime soon. I'm so glad that I found the old shade so I could try out covering it with some fabric.
First, I used painter's tape to cover some of the cord and the light bulb socket. I forgot to put tape on the switch, which is something that you probably would want to do if you paint a lamp.
I spray painted it "Peek-a-boo Blue".
As that was drying I started to work on the shade. Now, the process I used may not be the best, but it got the job done. Also, I didn't come up with the idea of how to do it. I've seen quite a few tutorials on other blogs and pulled different ideas together. I don't know the sources because it was a while ago when I saw them.
Here's what I did: I got some wrapping paper and rolled it out with the wrong side up so I could see better. I placed the lamp shade on its side and starting at the seam where the shade is glued together I marked the top and the bottom of the shade with an "x".
Then I slowly traced a line on the bottom edge while rolling the shade until I reached the seam again.
Then I lined up the seam with the top "x" and did the same thing with the top edge. It looked like this:
Then I used a magazine (was too lazy to get a ruler) to connect the x's to make a straight line.
Then I cut the pattern out of the paper and wrapped it around the shade to make sure it would work. Yes, I used Christmas wrapping paper. :)
Next I put the pinned the pattern to my fabric and cut it out.
I'm sure you could use various adhesives but I chose to use this Elmer's multi-purpose spray adhesive because that's what I had here.
Spray generously on the wrong side of the fabric.
Then roll you lamp shade onto the fabric. Make sure you smooth out the wrinkles quickly.
I rolled it all the way around and left a little fabric up.
I folded it over to create a clean line and then I hot glued it down.
Then I hot glued a ribbon starting at the seam and gluing as I went leaving half of the ribbon hanging over the edge.
After I glued the ribbon all the way around, I turned the "hanging" ribbon edge over to the inside of the shade and hot-glued it down.
In hindsight, I should have used a little thicker ribbon, but I had this ribbon already.
Here it is!
Since I already had the lamp, fabric, ribbon, and adhesive, this project only cost a little over $2, which was for the spray paint. It also took less than an hour. Not too bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Have A Dandy Day | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates