Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm still here...

It has been over a month since I have posted on here. I've been kind of bummed and also busy so I'm sorry for the lack of posts (if anyone even cares) :)

Today I'm posting a recipe for Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing. I will go ahead and say, "You're welcome" in advance because this is very delicious. I found this recipe online a few years ago and saved it in my recipe folder. I saved it with my sister, Angie, in mind because she loves peanut butter and chocolate. Unfortunately she hasn't gotten to try it but I vow that one day I will to make it for her.

Last week my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, and cousin came in town to see my cousin's tennis match. My grandmother's birthday was also last week so I decided to make her this tasty cake. We enjoyed it after a yummy dinner at Full Moon BBQ.

On to the recipe...

The recipe actually has you make a cake from scratch but I have found that some cake mixes tastes just as good and are much easier. Here's what I used for the cake part. (If you want the actual homemade cake recipe I'll email it to you):

One box Devil's Food Cake
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
Mix ingredients and pour into three greased 8 inch cake pans. (I used 9 inch pans) Bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool.

While the cake is cooking you can make the peanut butter icing.
You will need:

10 oz cream cheese; softened
1 stick butter; softened
5 cups confectioners sugar sifted
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter

In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar 1 cup at a time making sure it is well blended. Continue to beat on medium until light & fluffy (for about 3 minutes)

It should look like this and will taste like Heaven.

Next spread it on your cake layers. I actually put a thin coat of icing all over the cake to secure the crumbs and then let it chill for about 10 minutes. After that I put a thicker coat of icing on. Sometimes with darker cakes and light icing you can see some crumbs in the icing.
After you ice the cake put it in the fridge for a while to firm the icing. This will help with the next step which is pouring a chocolate glaze over the top half of the cake.

For the glaze you will need:
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
3 TBS smooth peanut butter
2 TBS light corn syrup
1/2 c. half and half

In the top of a double boiler, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and corn syrup and cook, whisking often, until melted and smooth.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Use while still warm.
Pour on the top of the cake and use a spatula to spread glaze to just the edges of the cake's top. The chocolate will eventually start to drip down the sides of the cake. Refrigerate uncovered for about 30 minutes to allow the glaze to set. Allow cake to sit out for a little while before serving.

My cake didn't turn out too pretty but it was very tasty. Make sure you cut thin slices and have milk on hand because this is a very rich cake. I hope you enjoy:)

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! I showed Brendan, and he wants a piece, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peanut butter. I must try this!
    I'm glad you're still here...

    ReplyDelete

 

Have A Dandy Day | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates