Friday, July 23, 2010

Where have the graham cracker sticks gone?

This is something that has been bothering me. Did you know that there are no longer graham cracker sticks available in the two places I call home (Muscle Shoals & Tuscaloosa). You know the ones that look like this?
I don't regularly eat graham crackers but I do like to serve them with a yummy chocolate chip cheese ball (I'll post a recipe sometime) or a peanut butter ball. They make the food presentation so nice. If you think you can just buy large graham crackers and cut them nicely, then you're wrong. I bought a box and half of the crackers were already broken when I opened the package and they weren't broken in a nice and neat manner. I'm not usually a stifler for neat lines when it comes to food but when I'm serving guests I like things to look very structured. This past weekend my friends & I threw a lingerie party for our good friends. I served a chocolate chip cheese ball and was disappointed when I couldn't find those sticks. I had remembered earlier this spring it was a problem but I eventually found a box. Apparently I should have stocked up that day because they are nowhere to be found now. All you can get that is close to them are Scooby Sticks.
Yes, they are for people but doesn't it look like dog food?! How could I possibly serve bone shaped food to people? And why is Scooby winking? He knows it's ridiculous to have bone shaped food for humans....
Anyway, if any of you lovely readers find any graham cracker sticks around, please let me know where to get them.

OH, and here's a semi-funny story for the day.

As I was on my quest for graham sticks last week I went to Walmart and overheard an awkward conversation. I must warn you: 1. I think it's funnier than the people I've told (so you may not think it's funny and that's ok) 2. there's cussing...or at least insinuated cussing.

Ok, so there I was looking up and down the cookie/cracker aisle when a early 20-ish couple comes sliding down towards the cookies. I say "sliding" because the guy was pushing the cart while the girl had her arms wrapped around the dude's waist and it was taking them a while to reach their destination. They finally stopped right beside me to get some cookies. I was still searching for something to serve with the choc-chip cheese ball. As they were trying to pick out some treats the guy said a phrase with some choice words (I really wasn't paying attention to what he said but I did notice the ugly words). The girl seemed embarrassed because she figured I heard him and kind of looked up at me and then said to him, "Why do you always gotta cuss?" To which the guy said, " I can say whatever the h*** I want. I live in a free country. I don't live over in Alpaca." Now, I'm no geography buff by any means. I still get slightly confused on where Alaska is (it's always beside Hawaii on the map tests at school) but I know that "alpaca" is not a place. Fortunately, after what seemed to be a little longer than it should have taken, the girl says, "Wait! Alpaca ain't a f*&*(*_+ place!" To which the guys says, "I don't care...Whatever. Iraina then" Yes, that's right, Iraina.
The thing that got me tickled the most was not the lack of knowledge from the poor boy but that the girl got on to him for cussing and then she drops the f bomb. I just kind of shook my head and walked down the aisle where Cory was standing and had no clue what I had witnessed. He said the look of concern on my face was priceless. In all honesty, I felt I had been filmed as a bystander on "16 & Pregnant". By the way, if you haven't seen that show you should check it out.

I hope you have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I think that story is hilarious! People are ridiculous. Oh and I'll tell you that little kids do love food that is shaped like dog bones (Kate loooves Scooby Snacks), but adults would think you'd gone crazy if you served them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Mrs. Jeannie to talk to my Uncle Keith at church. He works for Keebler and if anyone can help you find those graham cracker sticks, it's him. :-) Tell him Ashley sent you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Have A Dandy Day | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates