Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Caramel Pie

Here's a recipe that I'm sure most of you know. If you don't know it then it may surprise you to see how it's made...or at least surprise your husband. It's really easy but it takes a while to make. I decided to make this pie one day last week when I was out of school for the snow because, like I said, it does take a while to make. The recipe calls for condensed milk which was a bad choice being a snow day because Wal-mart was completely out of it. I forgot that it's used in snow cream. I had the hankering for this pie though, so Cory so sweetly took me to a pretty sketchy grocery store close to our new place.
For this recipe you will need:

1 large graham pie crust
2 cans condensed milk
1 small tub Cool Whip
mini-chocolate chips *optional*

First you take the labels off of the cans of milk.
Then you place the cans in a large stock pot, preferably in a pot that doesn't have a Teflon coating because it may chip.
Now fill the pot with water cold water.
Make sure you fill the pot with water until it covers the cans about 2 inches over.
Now bring the water to a boil. This is what takes a while. Boil the cans for a total of 3 hours (or 3 1/2). Check on your cans every 30 minutes to turn them over and also to add more water to the pot. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that the cans are under water the whole time or they can explode!
This is also the "husband surprising" part because he looked in the pot and looked at me confused that I was boiling cans.
After about 3 hours your cans should feel a little heavier and bulgy. Take the cans out and make sure you are wearing oven mitts. Let them sit for a few minutes to cool a little bit and then carefully open the cans. I say carefully, because when I did, caramel squirted out on my head. It was quite funny. Anyway, it should look like this:
Pour both cans of caramel into the pie crust and sit in the fridge for about an hour or so, or until it has cooled. Then top the pie with some Cool Whip.
And then some chocolate chips if you like.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. I refrigerated it for 8 hours and it was perfect.

See? Very simple, but takes a while. It's definitely worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Have A Dandy Day | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates