Wednesday, December 9, 2009

No Gracias

If you talk to me on a regular basis, you've heard me say "Gracias" many times. I like to the way it sounds and it makes me feel bilingual....even though that's the only word in Spanish that I really know. I took a mini Spanish course in college (it met like 10 times) and learned a few things and could remember them for a while, but now I'm back down to just "gracias" and the numbers, which I knew before the course. Anyway, I say the word a lot instead of saying "thank you". My students think it's fun but Cory, I think, gets tired of it because I say it with such pride and he knows it makes me feel like I look smarter.
Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and needed a shopping cart. There were only a two left and they were stuck together. I pulled and pulled (and probably looked stupid) for a while but couldn't get the carts apart. Soon a Hispanic man came running to my rescue. He came up and started pulling one of the carts and said something very quickly in Spanish. I didn't understand what he said but then he motioned me to stop pulling and demonstrated what he thought would work while speaking words I couldn't comprehend. Don't worry, he was smiling the whole time so he didn't mind that I didn't understand him. He got the shopping carts apart and I was really happy. What do I say??? "THANK YOU"! He smiled and walked away. What?! The one time saying "gracias" would be truly appreciated and I say "thank you"....Such a missed opportunity! I really wanted to run up behind him and say it but then realized he probably understood "thank you" as I understand "gracias".
Well, gracias for stopping by my blog today. I hope you have a good one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Have A Dandy Day | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates